Most Active Stories
- Fireman's Association says leave the pyrotechnics to the professionals
- Severe storms kill 3 people in Madison County, damage homes, cause power outages throughout region
- Update: Five tornadoes hit upstate New York Tuesday
- How the weather service decides if a tornado touched down
- Red to green: Syracuse working to upgrade traffic signal system
More News From WRVO
Syracuse Task Force Aims to Curb Summertime Violence
By Chris Ulanowski
Syracuse, NY – A Task Force report is due out by the end of the week with recommendations to help curb violence in the city of Syracuse.
Last year was one of the most deadly on record. 25 homicides were reported. 15 occured during the summer.
Syracuse officials are hoping to avoid that level of violence this year.
It's unclear what funding may be available for anti-violence programs, however. The city is facing it's worst fiscal crisis in decades.
Task force chair Kate O'Connell says federal funding and private sector grants may be available.