Most Active Stories
- In projects big and small, Watertown’s downtown reviving – but some say city government lacks vision
- BP killing Cape Vincent Wind Farm
- Audio postcard: Sackets Harbor choral group rehearses
- Senator Kirsten Gillibrand proposes new military sexual assault bill
- Geddes town supervisor talks SAFE Act with Cuomo
More News From WRVO
Syracuse Task Force Aims to Curb Summertime Violence
By Chris Ulanowski
Syracuse, NY – A Task Force report is due out by the end of the week with recommendations to help curb violence in the city of Syracuse.
Last year was one of the most deadly on record. 25 homicides were reported. 15 occured during the summer.
Syracuse officials are hoping to avoid that level of violence this year.
It's unclear what funding may be available for anti-violence programs, however. The city is facing it's worst fiscal crisis in decades.
Task force chair Kate O'Connell says federal funding and private sector grants may be available.