Most Active Stories
- In projects big and small, Watertown’s downtown reviving – but some say city government lacks vision
- BP killing Cape Vincent Wind Farm
- Audio postcard: Sackets Harbor choral group rehearses
- Senator Kirsten Gillibrand proposes new military sexual assault bill
- Geddes town supervisor talks SAFE Act with Cuomo
Syracuse University names new chancellor and president
Syracuse University has announced that Kent Syverud has been named the university's new chancellor and president.
The announcement was made public Thursday morning, following a unanimous vote by the university's Board of Trustees on Wednesday.
Syverud has served as the dean of the School of Law at Washington University in St. Louis since 2006. He will succeed current Chancellor Nancy Cantor on January 13, 2014, to become the university's 12th chancellor and president. Cantor is leaving Syracuse University to become chancellor of Rutgers University's Newark campus.
Prior to his position at Washington University, Syverud served as dean of Vanderbilt Law School, associate dean and faculty member at the University of Michigan School of Law, and served as a law clerk for Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor.
Syverud is a native of upstate New York, growing up in the town of Irondequoit, just outside Rochester.
Click here to read the full release from Syracuse University.