Most Active Stories
- Crashed Air Force drone was flying with gear that couldn't handle cold
- Empire Brewing Company says new brewery will create distinctive craft beers
- Schumer hopes federal funds will help local brewpub expand
- Teachers union not ready to reverse no confidence vote in education commissioner
- Small group protests possibility of housing Central American immigrants in Syraucse
Team USA's Mikaela Shiffrin Wins Skiing Gold
Originally published on Mon February 24, 2014 6:06 am
She's the youngest ever winner, male or female, of an Olympic slalom gold medal, The Associated Press says. The previous holder of that honor: "Paoletta Magoni of Italy, who won gold at the 1984 Sarajevo Games when she was 19."
Friday's slalom silver medal in Sochi went to Marlies Schild of Austria. Third place, and the bronze medal, went to Kathrin Zettel of Austria.
As NPR's Robert Smith said earlier today on Morning Edition, "when Shiffrin skis the slalom, it's like watching a tango dancer." Her upper body barely moves, while her legs "smoothly shoot out to the side" and around the gates.