Most Active Stories
- Crashed Air Force drone was flying with gear that couldn't handle cold
- Schumer hopes federal funds will help local brewpub expand
- Teachers union not ready to reverse no confidence vote in education commissioner
- Small group protests possibility of housing Central American immigrants in Syraucse
- Air Force plane found deep below Lake Ontario from 1952 crash
Around the Nation
Texas Woman Says Bacon Is Key To Long Life
Originally published on Thu May 9, 2013 11:43 am
DAVID GREENE, HOST:
Good morning, I'm David Greene.
Pearl Cantrell is 105. Naturally, her local TV station, KRBC in Texas, did a feature asking her the secret to longevity. Her answer: Bacon. I eat it every day, she said. Well, this caught the attention of Oscar Meyer.
(SOUNDBITE OF "OSCAR MEYER WEINER SONG")
UNIDENTIFIED GROUP: (singing) Oh, I'd love to be an Oscar Meyer Weiner...
GREENE: The company called her an inspiration and brought its Weinermobile to town. One TV report showed Cantrell passing through town waving from the front seat, riding shot bun, as the reporter noted.
It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.