Most Active Stories
- In projects big and small, Watertown’s downtown reviving – but some say city government lacks vision
- Audio postcard: Sackets Harbor choral group rehearses
- Winter storm to bring heavy snow to the region Wednesday and Thursday
- School closings and delays for Wednesday
- Oswego County nuclear plant shut down for the second time in less than a week
Three upstate New York highways make 'futureless freeways' list
Three big roadways in upstate New York cities have made a top 10 list of freeways that should be torn down or filled in.
The Congress for New Urbanism says Syracuse’s Interstate 81, Rochester’s Inner Loop and Buffalo’s Skyway bridge are all roadways that do damage to the community and should be replaced. They’re also on the "Freeways Without a Future" list because there’s growing momentum to remove them.
The Chicago-based group advocates for more walkable cities and smart growth.
All three expressways create their own unique problems. Interstate 81 is elevated through the city’s downtown and many say it cuts off the urban core. The depressed Inner Loop has been called a noose around Rochester’s downtown. And the Skyway is a towering expressway over Buffalo’s Inner Harbor that limits access to the waterfront.
"They’re dividing these neighbors and they’re kind of devaluing the neighborhoods around them, but also just the city in general," said Alex McKeag, the program manager at the Congress for New Urbanism. "And what they’re really doing is just facilitating traffic, most often, further out from the city center.”
Street level roads are a better investment for cities and don’t clog traffic as some people fear, says McKeag.
"It’s a... misconception that when you remove a freeway that you’re just going to be stuck in traffic. It just doesn’t happen; the evidence isn’t there," he said.
Syracuse and state transportation planners are moving closer to a decision about Interstate 81’s future, but just what to do has become a heated debate. This year Rochester begins a project to fill in a section of the Inner Loop. There’s been ongoing discussion about removing Buffalo’s Skyway.
The top 10 list of freeways without a future from the Congress for New Urbanism:
- New Orleans, La.: Claiborne Expressway
- Buffalo, N.Y.: The Skyway and Route 5
- Syracuse, N.Y.: Interstate 81
- Toronto, Ontario: Gardiner Expressway
- Rochester, N.Y.: Inner Loop
- St. Louis, Mo.: Interstate 70
- San Francisco, Cali: Interstate 280
- Detroit, Mich.: Interstate 375
- Long Beach, Cali.: Terminal Island Freeway
- Hartford, Conn.: Aetna Viaduct