Most Active Stories
- Crashed Air Force drone was flying with gear that couldn't handle cold
- Empire Brewing Company says new brewery will create distinctive craft beers
- Schumer hopes federal funds will help local brewpub expand
- Teachers union not ready to reverse no confidence vote in education commissioner
- Small group protests possibility of housing Central American immigrants in Syraucse
U.S. Confirms American Carried Out Suicide Bombing In Syria
Originally published on Fri May 30, 2014 9:15 pm
The State Department on Friday confirmed that a U.S. citizen, who they believe to be Moner Mohammad Abu-Salha, took part in a suicide truck bombing in Syria earlier this week.
Reports that a Syrian rebel calling himself Abu Hurayra al-Amriki (Abu Hurayra the American), a name allegedly adopted by Abu-Salha, carried out the May 25 attack on a Syrian government complex in western Idlib province have been circulating on social media for several days.
"I can confirm this individual was a U.S. citizen involved in a suicide bombing in Syria," State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said at a news briefing on Friday. Psaki confirmed the name of the man they believe to be the bomber later in the day.
The man was part of Jabhat al-Nusra, an al-Qaida affiliate fighting the regime of President Bashar Assad.
As we reported on Wednesday, the attack is the first by a U.S.-born suicide bomber in Syria.