Most Active Stories
- Empire Brewing Company says new brewery will create distinctive craft beers
- Teachers union not ready to reverse no confidence vote in education commissioner
- Duffy will keep thoughts to himself on Moreland Commission
- Novelis defends itself in court against allegations of influencing union vote
- Tell Me More will leave WRVO's midday schedule; Q with Jian Ghomeshi moves in
VIDEO: Third Haboob Of Summer Covers Phoenix In Sand And Dust
The area around Phoenix was hit by its third "haboob" of the summer last evening, as strong winds sent a huge cloud of sand and dust rolling over the area.
The Arizona Republic says that "blowing dust blanketed much of the Valley ... reducing visibility to less than a quarter-mile."
As during previous dust storms, news outlets in Phoenix caught much of the action and have posted video. Here's one from the Republic.
By the way, "haboob" is the word they've been using in Arizona and in meteorological circles for many years, the Republic reports. As Merriam-Webster says, it's Arabic in origin and means "a violent dust storm or sandstorm especially of Sudan."