Most Active Stories
- Crashed Air Force drone was flying with gear that couldn't handle cold
- Schumer hopes federal funds will help local brewpub expand
- Teachers union not ready to reverse no confidence vote in education commissioner
- Small group protests possibility of housing Central American immigrants in Syraucse
- Air Force plane found deep below Lake Ontario from 1952 crash
VIDEO: Third Haboob Of Summer Covers Phoenix In Sand And Dust
The area around Phoenix was hit by its third "haboob" of the summer last evening, as strong winds sent a huge cloud of sand and dust rolling over the area.
The Arizona Republic says that "blowing dust blanketed much of the Valley ... reducing visibility to less than a quarter-mile."
As during previous dust storms, news outlets in Phoenix caught much of the action and have posted video. Here's one from the Republic.
By the way, "haboob" is the word they've been using in Arizona and in meteorological circles for many years, the Republic reports. As Merriam-Webster says, it's Arabic in origin and means "a violent dust storm or sandstorm especially of Sudan."