Most Active Stories
- Groups call growing oil shipments in NY Cuomo's "Keystone" moment
- National Grid says supply costs, cold temperatures impacted winter electric rate spikes
- Death is hard, but hospice can help patients and families
- Nuclear waste facility in political and environmental limbo
- App turns social media posts into charity dollars
Virginia Tech On Alert After Report Of Shots
Virginia Tech has advised everyone on campus to "seek shelter or stay where you are" because of reports about shots being fired there.
It adds that:
"[A] suspect described as white male, gray sweat pants, gray hat w/neon green brim, maroon hoodie and backback" was seen "on foot towards McComas" — the university's athletics facility.
The university was the site of mass shooting in April 2007, during which a student killed 32 other people before taking his own life.
Update at 1:16 p.m. ET. Officer And Possibly A Second Person Shot:
The university's website now says:
"Suspect remains at large. A police officer has been shot. A potential second victim is reported at the Cage lot. Stay indoors. Secure in place."
Update at 1:15 p.m. ET. Officer Reportedly Shot:
WDBJ-TV in Roanoke says its reporter Karen Kiley says "a police officer is the one who has been shot."