Most Active Stories
- Some billing relief for National Grid customers after bitter winter
- Cortland among counties to pull out of SAFE Act pilot program
- Wegmans takes a stance on genetically modified food
- Groups call growing oil shipments in NY Cuomo's "Keystone" moment
- Nuclear waste facility in political and environmental limbo
Voice Of Speedy Alka-Seltzer Dick Beals Dies At 85
Originally published on Fri June 1, 2012 9:04 am
DAVID GREENE, HOST:
Good morning. I'm David Greene with a remembrance of Dick Beals, the man whose voice gave lie to Gumby. A glandular condition gave Beals his small stature and youthful voice, a voice that was used in more than 3,000 commercials. Beals played a wide range of roles - babies, teenagers, chipmunks. Perhaps most notably the Speedy Alka-Seltzer character.
(SOUNDBITE OF ADVERTISEMENT)
DICK BEALS: (Singing) Alka-Seltzer, plop, plop, fizz, fizz - oh, what a relief it is.
GREENE: Dick Beals passed away yesterday. He was 85. It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright National Public Radio.