Most Active Stories
- In projects big and small, Watertown’s downtown reviving – but some say city government lacks vision
- Audio postcard: Sackets Harbor choral group rehearses
- Senator Kirsten Gillibrand proposes new military sexual assault bill
- Drone test site secures half its startup funding with state grant
- World War II veteran honored with Purple Heart 70 years after turning it down
'Where Solders Come From' And What They Return To
Dominic Fredianelli and his buddies signed up for the National Guard in exchange for a signing bonus and help with college tuition. A new documentary, Where Soldiers Come From by Heather Courtney, follows their path from carefree teens in Michigan to combat veterans facing battle in Afghanistan.
Courtney spent two years with the group, which deployed in December 2008, documenting the families and the towns these young soldiers come from, their introduction to combat and disillusionment with their mission, and the problems that surface once they return home.
NPR's Neal Conan talks with Courtney and Fredianelli about the film.