Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Remington Arms' owner breaks silence on state's gun laws
- New York's "local" beef, often not as local as you think
- The WRVO MemberCard Thank You! Tour
- Rally hopes to shed light on diagnosis and treatment of Lyme disease
- Seven years of spinning turbines have brought windfall to Lewis County communities
WRVO Community Forum Series on WRVO-1
The WRVO Community Forum series brings together experts to discuss timely topics of regional significance. We invite you to join us for these lively events as part of the audience. Opportunities for audience members to ask questions follow each forum presentation. These events are recorded for broadcast on WRVO radio and for download as podcasts for playback on computer, iPhone, iTouch, iPad, and Android.
Past Community Forum Events:
Living Longer, Living Better: Creating and Sustaining the Academic-Clinical-Business Partnerships that Drive Innovation for Aging in Place
October, 2012, IMPARA/Menorah Park, Dewitt, NY
Moderated by Catherine Loper, WRVO Director of News and Public Affairs
- Gail Carmichel, VP, Clinical Operations Visiting Nurses Association of Syracuse
- Cindy Nigolian, Clinical Administrator and Senior Advisor, Nurses Improving the Care of Health System Elders (NICHE)
- Anthony Joseph, VP for Long-term Care, Samaritan Medical Center, Watertown
- Joseph Coughlin, Founding Director, M.I.T. AgeLab
- Julie Shimer, former chief executive officer and president and now chief innovation officer, Welch Allyn
- Ken Piazza, Geriatric and Extended Care Manager at the Syracuse VA Medical Center (VAMC)
- Steven Goodman, Ph.D., VP for Research, SUNY Upstate Medical University
- Marybeth McCall, MD, VP Chief Medical Officer Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield
Listen to the podcast here.
What's Powering Your Computer Screen?
November, 2011, SUNY Oswego Metro Center, Syracuse
Jeff Brady, NPR energy reporter
Pete Wilcoxen, professor of energy and policy at Syracuse University and a Senior Fellow with the Brookings Institute.
James Stapleton, Principal Energy Manager, National Grid
Andrea Feldpausch-Parker, Assistant Professor in Environmental Communication at SUNY-ESF.
Culture Under Siege in Pakistan
October, 2011, City Hall Commons, Syracuse
Asma Barlas, director of the Center for the Study of culture, Race and Ethnicity at Ithaca College.
Mara Ahmed, Pakistani-born artist and filmmaker.
Muhammad Najmuddin, Pakistani musician, direct descendent of Hazrat Yameenuddin Abdul-Hasan Amir Khusrou, a 13th century musician, poet, soldier, philosopher.
Panel moderated by Fergus Nicoll, Commentator, BBC World Service programme The World Today.
The Green Economy
November, 2010, SUNY Oswego Metro Center, Syracuse
Nasir Ali,founder and Executive Director of The Seed Capital Fund of CNY, a private LLC whose members fund early stage tech companies
Matt Daneman, Technology Business Reporter, Rochester Democrat and Chronicle
Linda Dickerson Hartsock, Executive Director, The Clean Tech Center
Public Education Funding
October, 2010, SUNY Oswego Metro Center, Syracuse
Rick Timbs, consultant to the New York State School Boards Association
Dr. Linda Rae Markert, Dean of the School of Education, SUNY Oswego
NYS Assemblyman Bill Magnarelli, member of the Assembly Education Committee
Sylvia Matousek, President (retired), North Syracuse Teacher’s Association, and currently is on the statewide board of NYSUT
The Science of Hydrofracking
June, 2010, SUNY Oswego Metro Center, Syracuse
Susan Riha, Professor, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Cornell University
Bryce Hand, Professor Emeritus, Geology, Syracuse University
How do Recent Veterans Reintegrate into Central New York?
March, 2010, SUNY Oswego Metro Center, Syracuse
Mark Nowakowski, Social Worker, HUD-VASH, Utica
Steve Darman, Director, Social Science Associates
Cindy Picunas, Veterans Program Coordinator, New York State Department of Labor
Syracuse Mayor's Race Debate
October, 2009, SUNY Oswego Metro Center, Syracuse
Otis Jennings, Conservative Candidate
Steve Kimatian, Republican Candidate
Stephanie Miner, Democratic Candidate
Higher Education in the New Economy
September, 2009, SUNY Oswego Metro Center, Syracuse
Deborah F. Stanley, President, SUNY Oswego
Robert Simpson, CEO, Syracuse Metropolitan Development Association
Peggy Dudarchik, Senior Vice President, Sensis Corporation
The Federal Stimulus in Central New York: Is it Working?
June, 2009, SUNY Oswego Metro Center, Syracuse
Dan Maffei, U.S. House of Representatives, 25th District of New York
Ranjit S. Dighe, Associate Professor, Economics, SUNY Oswego
Michael Weber, State Director, Office of Economic Recovery