Most Active Stories
- Empire Brewing Company says new brewery will create distinctive craft beers
- Teachers union not ready to reverse no confidence vote in education commissioner
- Duffy will keep thoughts to himself on Moreland Commission
- Novelis defends itself in court against allegations of influencing union vote
- No bones about it, Utica College students learn more than anthropology in Albania
Cuomo on possible hydrofracking plan
In a New York Times article published Wednesday, a plan for the first stage of hydrofracking in New York state was laid out by members of the Cuomo administration. But in a radio interview Thursday, Governor Andrew Cuomo himself was reluctant to actually call it a plan.
Speaking on the Fred Dicker radio show, Cuomo said that there can't be a plan for hydrofracking before the Department of Environmental Conservation finishes its review. But people are starting to consider how the industry would move into New York. Hydrofracking is a process used to extract natural gas.
"You're going to go ahead, what does that mean? How many, how fast, how many in the first year? What is the necessary ramp up?" Cuomo said.
The New York Times reported that hydrofracking would -- at first -- only be permitted in some Southern Tier counties, in towns where officials support the industry. Many of these details were previously reported in April.
Cuomo left open the possibility that the 100 or so local bans against drilling will be respected. But he said it's also possible the state will overturn them. Shale gas drilling has not been allowed in New York state since 2008 when the DEC began its review.