Most Active Stories
- Fireman's Association says leave the pyrotechnics to the professionals
- Severe storms kill 3 people in Madison County, damage homes, cause power outages throughout region
- Update: Five tornadoes hit upstate New York Tuesday
- How the weather service decides if a tornado touched down
- Red to green: Syracuse working to upgrade traffic signal system
More News From WRVO
Lock I Old Erie Canal Found
By Associated Press
Albany – Union College archeologists have found what they believe to be the stones of the wall of Lock One on the Old Erie Canal in Albany. The locks acted like water elevators -- moving boats through changes in elevation along the canal. Lock One was part of an extension of the 363-mile canal more than 150 years ago.
Researchers say the canal spurred westward expansion in the country and was a link to the nation's fertile interior lands. It tied the Great Lakes to the Atlantic Ocean.