Most Active Stories
- Crashed Air Force drone was flying with gear that couldn't handle cold
- Empire Brewing Company says new brewery will create distinctive craft beers
- Schumer hopes federal funds will help local brewpub expand
- Teachers union not ready to reverse no confidence vote in education commissioner
- Small group protests possibility of housing Central American immigrants in Syraucse
More News From WRVO
Lock I Old Erie Canal Found
By Associated Press
Albany – Union College archeologists have found what they believe to be the stones of the wall of Lock One on the Old Erie Canal in Albany. The locks acted like water elevators -- moving boats through changes in elevation along the canal. Lock One was part of an extension of the 363-mile canal more than 150 years ago.
Researchers say the canal spurred westward expansion in the country and was a link to the nation's fertile interior lands. It tied the Great Lakes to the Atlantic Ocean.