Most Active Stories
- Crashed Air Force drone was flying with gear that couldn't handle cold
- Empire Brewing Company says new brewery will create distinctive craft beers
- Schumer hopes federal funds will help local brewpub expand
- Teachers union not ready to reverse no confidence vote in education commissioner
- Small group protests possibility of housing Central American immigrants in Syraucse
More News From WRVO
Oil Sands Impact On The Great Lakes
By Jasmyn Belcher
Oswego, NY – A writer is questioning the environmental impacts of developing the oil sands in Canada.
The Athabasca oil sands are in Alberta, a province in Canada. The area is about the size of Florida, and is full of oil...but the oil is difficult to extract. It has to be heated and mixed in order to even get it into a pipeline.
WRVO's Jasmyn Belcher spoke with David Israelson, author of the paper, How The Oil Sands Got to the Great Lakes Basin: Pipelines, Refineries and Emissions to Air and Water. He explains the issue.