Most Active Stories
- Empire Brewing Company says new brewery will create distinctive craft beers
- Teachers union not ready to reverse no confidence vote in education commissioner
- Duffy will keep thoughts to himself on Moreland Commission
- Novelis defends itself in court against allegations of influencing union vote
- Tell Me More will leave WRVO's midday schedule; Q with Jian Ghomeshi moves in
More News From WRVO
Oil Sands Impact On The Great Lakes
By Jasmyn Belcher
Oswego, NY – A writer is questioning the environmental impacts of developing the oil sands in Canada.
The Athabasca oil sands are in Alberta, a province in Canada. The area is about the size of Florida, and is full of oil...but the oil is difficult to extract. It has to be heated and mixed in order to even get it into a pipeline.
WRVO's Jasmyn Belcher spoke with David Israelson, author of the paper, How The Oil Sands Got to the Great Lakes Basin: Pipelines, Refineries and Emissions to Air and Water. He explains the issue.