Most Active Stories
- In projects big and small, Watertown’s downtown reviving – but some say city government lacks vision
- BP killing Cape Vincent Wind Farm
- Geddes town supervisor talks SAFE Act with Cuomo
- Growing plants from seed ensures getting what you paid for
- Senator Kirsten Gillibrand proposes new military sexual assault bill
More News From WRVO
Oil Sands Impact On The Great Lakes
By Jasmyn Belcher
Oswego, NY – A writer is questioning the environmental impacts of developing the oil sands in Canada.
The Athabasca oil sands are in Alberta, a province in Canada. The area is about the size of Florida, and is full of oil...but the oil is difficult to extract. It has to be heated and mixed in order to even get it into a pipeline.
WRVO's Jasmyn Belcher spoke with David Israelson, author of the paper, How The Oil Sands Got to the Great Lakes Basin: Pipelines, Refineries and Emissions to Air and Water. He explains the issue.