Most Active Stories
- In projects big and small, Watertown’s downtown reviving – but some say city government lacks vision
- BP killing Cape Vincent Wind Farm
- Geddes town supervisor talks SAFE Act with Cuomo
- Growing plants from seed ensures getting what you paid for
- Senator Kirsten Gillibrand proposes new military sexual assault bill
More News From WRVO
Recycling Center Fire
By Associated Press
Cortland – Police investigating a suspicious weekend fire that destroyed a county recycling center in Cortland have found some clues to help them determine the cause.
Investigators found that the entrance gates at Cortland County's Recycling Center had been ripped from its hinges.
Inside one of the storeage bays, police discovered a burnt-out minivan that had been stolen from a nearby neighborhood.
Police think the fire got started near the minivan, although they're not sure how.
They are also investigating if a truck-fire that occured earlier in the morning near the center is somehow connected.
Yesterday's blaze produced flames visible for miles and covered the city of Cortland with a cloud of smoke. It also ignited several brush fires and left one firefighter with an injured shoulder.