Most Active Stories
- In projects big and small, Watertown’s downtown reviving – but some say city government lacks vision
- BP killing Cape Vincent Wind Farm
- Audio postcard: Sackets Harbor choral group rehearses
- Senator Kirsten Gillibrand proposes new military sexual assault bill
- Geddes town supervisor talks SAFE Act with Cuomo
Retail Sales Rose More Than Forecast In October
Two new economic indicators:
-- Sales in the retail and food sectors rose 0.5 percent in October from September, the Census Bureau says. They were up 7.2 percent from October 2010.
Bloomberg News says the increase in retail sales was "more than projected as Americans snapped up new Apple Inc. iPhones and demand for automobiles improved."
-- Wholesale prices "declined 0.3 percent in October" from September, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reports. The major factor: A 1.4 percent drop in energy costs. Over the past year, BLS added, wholesale prices have risen 5.9 percent.