Most Active Stories
- In projects big and small, Watertown’s downtown reviving – but some say city government lacks vision
- BP killing Cape Vincent Wind Farm
- Audio postcard: Sackets Harbor choral group rehearses
- Senator Kirsten Gillibrand proposes new military sexual assault bill
- Geddes town supervisor talks SAFE Act with Cuomo
Schumer comments on Washington D.C. Navy Yard shooting
New York Senator Chuck Schumer called yesterday's shooting at the Navy Yard in Washington D.C. "tragic." He also touched on a common theme of the recent gun control debate- mental health.
"So I think we have to look at that very carefully, without pre-judging what happened in D.C.," Schumer said. "But certainly, it needs a careful look. These things are occurring much too frequently."
Schumer said the U.S. has got to get to the bottom of why so many shootings are happening. This year, the Senate has not passed new gun control laws pushed by Schumer and other Democrats in response to the shooting at a Connecticut elementary school in December.