Most Active Stories
- National Grid says supply costs, cold temperatures impacted winter electric rate spikes
- New teachers union president wants to increase union's political potency
- App turns social media posts into charity dollars
- Death is hard, but hospice can help patients and families
- Education historian lashes out against Common Core during Syracuse visit
Schumer comments on Washington D.C. Navy Yard shooting
New York Senator Chuck Schumer called yesterday's shooting at the Navy Yard in Washington D.C. "tragic." He also touched on a common theme of the recent gun control debate- mental health.
"So I think we have to look at that very carefully, without pre-judging what happened in D.C.," Schumer said. "But certainly, it needs a careful look. These things are occurring much too frequently."
Schumer said the U.S. has got to get to the bottom of why so many shootings are happening. This year, the Senate has not passed new gun control laws pushed by Schumer and other Democrats in response to the shooting at a Connecticut elementary school in December.