Most Active Stories
- In projects big and small, Watertown’s downtown reviving – but some say city government lacks vision
- BP killing Cape Vincent Wind Farm
- Geddes town supervisor talks SAFE Act with Cuomo
- Growing plants from seed ensures getting what you paid for
- Senator Kirsten Gillibrand proposes new military sexual assault bill
More News From WRVO
Secretary of the Army Next in Line for Secretary of Defense
By Dave Bollard
Oswego, NY – Former North Country Congressman John McHugh would become secretary of defense if the current secretary died and his deputy could not take the job.
McHugh is Secretary of the Army. Democratic President Barack Obama appointed the longtime republican member of Congress to the job last year.
The president has signed an order this week stating that if the job of defense secretary should suddenly open the secretary of the army should become second in line.
The President's order changes the succession plan of former president Bush, who would have made the intelligence chief third in line.