Most Active Stories
- Crashed Air Force drone was flying with gear that couldn't handle cold
- Empire Brewing Company says new brewery will create distinctive craft beers
- Teachers union not ready to reverse no confidence vote in education commissioner
- Small group protests possibility of housing Central American immigrants in Syraucse
- Duffy will keep thoughts to himself on Moreland Commission
More News From WRVO
Soldier Stands Up To Don't Ask, Don't Tell
By Jasmyn Belcher
Syracuse, NY – A military Administrative board is recommending that a gay New York National Guard officer be discharged for violating the military's so-called "Don't ask, don't tell" policy.
Lieutenant Dan Choi could be the first New York National Guard member discharged for violating the policy against open homosexuality. The recommendation now moves to the First Army Commander and the Chief National Guard Bureau...that's where the fate of Choi's military career will be determined.
About 10,000 members of the military have been discharged for violating the policy, between 1997 and 2008.
WRVO's Jasmyn Belcher has this profile on Lt. Choi, as he stood outside the hearing in Mattydale.