Most Active Stories
- In projects big and small, Watertown’s downtown reviving – but some say city government lacks vision
- Audio postcard: Sackets Harbor choral group rehearses
- Senator Kirsten Gillibrand proposes new military sexual assault bill
- Winter storm to bring heavy snow to the region Wednesday and Thursday
- Oswego County nuclear plant shut down for the second time in less than a week
Syracuse residents dealing with bedbug infestation
It started in January when Sharon Sherman noticed an increase in the number of complaints from tenants about bedbugs.
Sherman, the Executive Director of the Greater Syracuse Tenants Network, says the complaints came from everywhere.
"We are getting more calls from the north side of Syracuse," Sherman said. "But they are all over Syracuse, Solvay , Liverpool. There's not a place where it's not a problem right now."
Part of the problem is that landlords don't know how to deal with the pests. Hiring an exterminator is the best way to do it, but it can be expensive. As for tenants, Sherman says specially made mattress and box spring covers are a good, although pricey choice.
"If you encapsulate your mattress and box spring in one of these appropriate mattress covers that says they're for bedbugs, the bedbugs are going to die and they won't come out and bite you," Sherman said.
Sherman is hoping the information presented at next Tuesday's workshop will help landlords deal with the problem.