Most Active Stories
- In projects big and small, Watertown’s downtown reviving – but some say city government lacks vision
- Audio postcard: Sackets Harbor choral group rehearses
- Winter storm brings heavy snow to the region
- Closings and cancelations for Wednesday
- Oswego County nuclear plant shut down for the second time in less than a week
More News From WRVO
Tax Credits Available for New Yorkers
By Jasmyn Belcher
Oswego, NY – U.S. Senator Kirsten Gillibrand is urging Central New Yorkers to take advantage of available tax cuts.
As tax season gets underway, Gillibrand is touting opportunities for New Yorkers to save on property taxes, new home and car purchases and college tuition.
One particular cut is available for 96 percent of Central New Yorkers. That is the $400 Making Work Pay tax cut, which was part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.
Gillibrand is working to raise awareness about the tax credit, which some people may have to actually claim.
"The $400 Making Work Tax Credit was automatically included for most workers to ensure middle class tax workers receive this tax cut immediatley. However, workers who did not receive a deduction and their withholding or who may have lost their job before they received the full value of the credit, should be sure to claim it on the returns," said Gillibrand.
Other tax cuts available to New Yorkers include the Earned Income Tax Credit, which is a refundable tax credit to help lower-income taxpayers, the American College Opportunity Tax Credit and First Time Homebuyer Tax Credit.