Most Active Stories
- Groups call growing oil shipments in NY Cuomo's "Keystone" moment
- Nuclear waste facility in political and environmental limbo
- Death is hard, but hospice can help patients and families
- Some billing relief for National Grid customers after bitter winter
- App turns social media posts into charity dollars
U.S. Stock Markets Fall Sharply In Early Trading
U.S. stocks stumbled out of the gate Wednesday, falling more than 300 points in the first few minutes of trading.
The sharp drop came despite a rally that buoyed U.S. indexes Tuesday, and rallies from the European and Asian markets Wednesday. Global investors seemed to take heart in the Federal Reserve's pledge to maintain low interest rates and stabilize the U.S. economy.
Analysts say that U.S. investors' confidence remains fragile, as the economy continues to lack momentum.