Most Active Stories
- In projects big and small, Watertown’s downtown reviving – but some say city government lacks vision
- BP killing Cape Vincent Wind Farm
- Geddes town supervisor talks SAFE Act with Cuomo
- Growing plants from seed ensures getting what you paid for
- Senator Kirsten Gillibrand proposes new military sexual assault bill
VIDEO: Bungee Cord Snaps; Woman Survives 365-Foot Plunge
Don't press play if you're don't like heights and scary thrills. But rest assured, 22-year-old Australian Erin Langworthy survived to tell the tale after her bungee cord broke on New Year's Eve during a jump from a bridge over the Zambezi River on the border of Zambia and Zimbabwe.
She hit the water 365-feet below. Fortunately, it appears, the cord slowed her descent before it snapped. Still, Langworthy broke her collarbone — and she tells Australia's 9 News that at one point she "had to swim down and yank the bungee cord out of whatever it was caught on to make it to the surface." She also suffered extensive bruising.
Langworthy "managed to swim to the Zimbabwe side of the river after seeing it was closest," 9 News says, even though her feet were still tied to the cord.
The Associated Press video report is posted here.