Most Active Stories
- Crashed Air Force drone was flying with gear that couldn't handle cold
- Schumer hopes federal funds will help local brewpub expand
- Teachers union not ready to reverse no confidence vote in education commissioner
- Small group protests possibility of housing Central American immigrants in Syraucse
- Air Force plane found deep below Lake Ontario from 1952 crash
Village of Chaumont votes against dissolution
Voters in Chaumont, in Jefferson County, knocked down a ballot measure to dissolve the village, by a vote of 145 to 102.
Mayor Valerie Rust initially spearheaded the dissolution effort, but later modified her position, saying she wasn't entirely convinced by cost savings projections.
A study showed village property owners could realize a nearly 50 percent tax reduction if the village dissolved. But it also found town of Lyme residents outside the village could see a tax increase of about 8 percent.
Dissolution advocates said the measure would increase government efficiency by eliminating duplicate services. Those in favor of preserving the village cited greater representation for village.