Most Active Stories
- In projects big and small, Watertown’s downtown reviving – but some say city government lacks vision
- BP killing Cape Vincent Wind Farm
- Geddes town supervisor talks SAFE Act with Cuomo
- Growing plants from seed ensures getting what you paid for
- Senator Kirsten Gillibrand proposes new military sexual assault bill
Village of Chaumont votes against dissolution
Voters in Chaumont, in Jefferson County, knocked down a ballot measure to dissolve the village, by a vote of 145 to 102.
Mayor Valerie Rust initially spearheaded the dissolution effort, but later modified her position, saying she wasn't entirely convinced by cost savings projections.
A study showed village property owners could realize a nearly 50 percent tax reduction if the village dissolved. But it also found town of Lyme residents outside the village could see a tax increase of about 8 percent.
Dissolution advocates said the measure would increase government efficiency by eliminating duplicate services. Those in favor of preserving the village cited greater representation for village.